Hai, Hai, Hai and a Bottle of Lassi

A scene from the Diwali episode of The Office.The Office folks get down with Diwali.

Nothings spreads holiday cheer like some plucky lyrics set to tender music (see Happy Birthday Jesus and the Kwanzaa Spelling Song: K-W-A-N-Z-A-A!) , so when the cast of NBC’s hit show The Office celebrates Diwali on screen next Thursday, they will be doing so with an aural ode to the Festival of Lights.

Called The Diwali Song , its lyrics are dark (“Don’t invite any zombies/To a celebration of Diwali”), folky (“Along came Polly/To have some fun at Diwali”) and might just convince you to put your old holiday CDs—about flying deer and talking snowmen—into storage for good.

Tune in to NBC at 8:30PM on Thursday, November 2, to catch desi script and screen sensation Mindy Kaling introducing her co-workers to the joys of being Hindu. As a bonus, we are told her real-life parents will be starring in the episode.

In the meantime, pop on your headphones and turn up the volume for this: The Diwali Song (courtesy of NBC Universal).

(PS: Want more on Mindy Kaling and other desi American television writers? Check out the November issue of Nirali for the exclusive).

Ismat’s Note: What do you think? Is the song funny, offensive, or none of the above? Share your thoughts!

October 25, 2006
  1. October 25, 2006, 2:41 pm Mili

The Diwali Song is riotous! Love it!

Thanks for the exclusive Hilal !!

2. October 25, 2006, 2:46 pm Pooja

Totally hilarious. Not offended at all. I can’t wait for this episode. And I can’t wait for your piece on Mindy Kaling!

3. October 25, 2006, 5:35 pm Ameeta

This is hilarious! I don’t usually watch The Office, but I’m going to have to make an exception, because I have to see this now.

4. October 25, 2006, 11:25 pm Deepa

I am in a quandry, because both Grey’s Anatomy and the O.C. are on at that time, and we only have two TVs in the house. I think I may have to make an exception this week and watch The Office, because I’ve heard it’s pretty funny, and if that image is any indication, this episode will be as well.

As for the song, I thought it was hilarious! I didn’t find anything in it offensive – did anyone else?

5. October 27, 2006, 7:13 pm Aditi

it fell very short of expectations but i wouldn’t go to the extent of calling it offensive because it is from a TV show after all

6. October 27, 2006, 10:23 pm Mooji

Hilarious! Why should that offend anyone? Can’t wait to see the episode.

7. October 29, 2006, 11:28 pm Jarod

Looks Hilarious!

You can watch all of this seasons episodes for free at:

8. October 30, 2006, 10:18 pm Sheba

I watch the Office religiously and already love the fact that there is a desi in the cast. I can’t wait for the Diwali episode!

9. November 3, 2006, 6:24 am Uncleji Media Pundit

I can’t wait for the Vakishaki & Eid Versions

10. November 3, 2006, 10:21 am Hilal

Thanks everyone.

So, did you watch last night’s episode?

What did you think?

11. November 3, 2006, 10:48 am BidiSmoker

Offensive isn’t the right word. I think insulting or infantile would be. I don’t get why this show is so popular, or why I as an Indian-American should be proud because some aspiring comedian with an anglicized name decided to throw in a sprinkling of disneyfied Indian culture into the show to increase her profile/marketability. Why don’t they just air Gurinder Chadha movies on NBC, it would save time and money and fit everyone’s preconceived notions of what Indian culture is.

12. November 7, 2006, 3:27 am Hindu Human Rights

For the Hindus that actually care for their culture. There is a group of young Hindus that are making a difference against anti-hindu propaganda.

Check out the site

13. November 8, 2006, 5:47 pm Priya

Seriously, please be respectful in the comments section. I have repeatedly removed an infantile comment for making totally disrespectful remarks. I understand if you did not enjoy the show. Please tell us WHY and do not repeatedly come here and post absolute bile attacking someone’s character.

Thank you.