Hermès Orange, Indian Pink (UPDATED)

Wow, guys. I am literally bouncing in my seat. The fat March issue of Vanity Fair landed on my desk. I love going through the March and September books because generally that’s when all the new ad campaigns debut.

This season I’m loving Prada (gorgeous illustrations!), Dolce & Gabbana (artist loft chic!) and Kate Spade (always a sucker for the preppy styling!). Then my eyes landed on the new Hermès campaign…

Ooooh lord, it’s good. The three-pager in VF opens with a shot of a black horse following a painted Indian elephant on a pathway of hot pink and orange flowers. (Very smart, Hermès!) The following spread shows a shot of Indian model Lakshmi Menon in jodhpur chic (Dude, those pants are made of crocodile…. seriously?) between two more painted elephants with more orange and pink flowers. Tagline? Hermès Orange Indian Pink. So perfect.

I love that Lakshmi is the new face of Hermès. She is such great choice for this season’s collection especially since it was inspired by India. I can’t wait to see the rest of this campaign as more March and April books drop on my desk! Will keep this post updated.

UPDATE: I have more shots from this campaign including shots for the Hermès Home collection and handbags and shoes. See it all after the jump!

hermes-ss2008-horse-elephant.jpg
hermes-ss2008-single.jpg
hermes-ss2008-indian-dust.jpg
hermes-ss2008-scarf.jpg
hermres-ss2008-shoe.jpg
hermes-ss2008-suitcase.jpg
hermes-ss2008-plate.jpg
hermes-ss2008-dust.jpg
hermes-ss2008-handbag.jpg
February 13, 2008
  1. February 18, 2008, 3:41 pm Monica

What is going on with Nirali Magazine? Any updates in the future?

2. February 20, 2008, 8:54 am KC

I don’t get it — what is the deal with the horse?

3. February 21, 2008, 12:37 pm Priya

KC— The horse is an iconic symbol for Hermès as the brand began as a harness and saddle maker. The Hermès logo boasts a horse as well and a lot of the designs are inspired by equestrian style. The horse following the elephant brings a bit of Hermès to the very Indian-inspired campaign.

4. March 2, 2008, 2:04 pm Secretista

I LOVE IT.

5. March 5, 2008, 4:05 pm Elvia

Yay! Thank you for this post :]

I only saw the top ad campaign for the Hermes collection in the March issue of VOGUE magazine, so far.
    I have to get the March issue of Vanity Fair – thanks so much for the information!

I love it because I love Lakshmi Menon and the colors + theme are absolutely brilliant!

Plus, I’m a fashion student and I adore ad campaigns so it was really exciting for me!…

6. March 7, 2008, 4:15 pm yamini

great colors. great ad campaign. extremely colorful, just like india. thanks for this article!

7. March 14, 2008, 10:17 pm Em

How cute are those elephants. I love the traditional paint reinterpreted in the colors of the campaign. I am biased though, elephants are one of my favorite animals.

8. March 24, 2008, 6:49 am Alchimie

I absolutely love this campaign! The cutest picture is with those elephants carrying hermes bags. The whole idea was just great, and very unique. You would think Hermes comes up with awesome stuff, but this was just beyond my imagination! Love this, two thumbs up!

9. April 28, 2008, 1:40 pm teodora

This is one great humane and animal-loving ad! I W A N T more of them to look this sweet, elegant and itinerantly adventurist, exotic and colorful! This adventurous-lady-like ad campaign is something best ever Hermes has done in recent years! It’s appealing to fashionistas and cosmopolitan women like me and as well to cowgirls… like me. And we know that horses are the cutest things in the world and we buy them colorful ribbons for decorating them and sweets so they carry us nicely etc. It’s nothing better that to have a horse for a companionship and nothing is more cute than an elephant decorated like here!
    This ad, when I saw it somewhere above Atlantic, really reminded me on my lovely sunny weekends on ranch!

Beautiful and Earthy ads! Bravo Hermes!

10. May 7, 2008, 3:21 pm jK

As beautiful as these ads are it is disgusting what they have done to the elephants.

THEY ARE ANIMALS! Not dress up dolls!

I’m very surprised no one has commented about this yet….?

11. June 18, 2008, 5:34 pm NAOMI

Come ON people…
    Elephants carrying handbags?
    It’s ridiculous and reminds me of why I’m glad I TRY not to be *completely consumed by the Power of the fashion industry…although it is hard to avoid at times. (Fashion can be ART but these days it has a huge gray area…especially regarding intention and INTEGRITY)

SURE the photos are VIBRANT with amazing color palettes and styling…but I agree that animals should not be used as dress up dolls to sell leather hand-bags…or ANYTHING ELSE for that matter.
    Gag me….gross…EXPLOITIVE….wrong.
    In this case…I would say that Pretty is really Pretty Ugly.

12. June 24, 2008, 11:20 pm Roberta

Amazing campaign!
    I loved it. Chic, creative, very Hermes!

13. August 30, 2008, 12:18 am sam

I love it
    But did you know that those are not indian elephants?

14. September 7, 2008, 4:43 am Sam

Agree with Naomi.

15. November 12, 2008, 10:10 pm shakazulu

IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT-SHUT UP!!!!!!!

YOUR OBVIOUSLY JELOUS YOU CAN’T AFFORD IT!!!! HA!!! EAT IT!!!

16. November 12, 2008, 10:12 pm SHAKAZULU

THOSE WHO DO NOT LIKE THE ART WORK ARE JUST JELOUS BECAUSE THEY CANNOT AFFORD IT!!! HA!!! EAT MY BIRKIN!

17. November 27, 2008, 9:48 pm sumita

these are beautiful and majestic creatures. there is so much kindness in their eyes. it makes me so happy to see them laugh! great campaign! vive l’inde ! :)

18. December 1, 2008, 12:00 pm Fileybelle

This is a Great Photo Shoot for Lakshmi Menon, she has progressed so well as a Model.

Also The Bracelet is so cool

19. February 28, 2009, 10:16 pm Kellyg

I’m sure the elephants don’t mind. You’re not hurting them.

Beautiful!