Ash Rana: Growing Up Royal Is Hard

Ash Rana

Mili sent me a link to New York magazine’s Look Book featuring Nepalese fashion designer Ash Rana. I don’t know much about his work (and the article doesn’t really get into it), but we’ll certainly look into it for a future story. But here’s what was most interesting about the article:

“My mother was adopted by the prince of Nepal, so I grew up in the palace, but I don’t have the royal blood. It did come with its own perks, but when I moved to the U.S., it was almost like a handicap because I didn’t know how to do anything for myself, like laundry and things like that.”

I wonder what the royal palace of Nepal is like? Forget his designs; I want to know the details of growing up as a semi-prince. Apparently Gawker has picked up on the story, as well (albeit with a cheekier take).

Also, according to Rana, “Men are more fashionable than the women because they have more freedom” in Nepal. Is that true? What does he mean by that? Can Nepalase readers shed some light?

November 9, 2006
  1. November 9, 2006, 6:40 pm Priya

I have nothing really to contribute to this except that I think I look forward to Gawker’s takes on each week’s Look Book than the Look Books themselves.

2. November 10, 2006, 9:50 pm Deepa

Is it just me, or is he Prince’s doppelganger?

3. June 3, 2007, 5:05 pm praneeta

well yes, Nepal gives more freedom to men than women.. its a big deal if a girl walks the streets with a skirt on. but now its changed thank god to us girls, we hav the freedom to dress how ever we want! i think its like indian culture…im not sure i havnt been to nepal lately. i heard it has changed alot.

4. April 16, 2008, 8:42 pm Sarda

I find it impossible to accept that men are more fashionable than women because they have more freedom to dress. If fashion means wearing shorts skirts according to Praneeta than I am shuddering here. It makes me cringe to hear Ash Rana say such things. I really would like to see his collection or even a sample of his design since I just can’t help laughing… fashion wasn’t or isn’t a concern in the working class sector since Nepal is a poor country. But people with access to money and clothes, as long as I know, have been both women and men.

I still think fashion in Nepal is a tall glass of drink.

5. April 17, 2008, 8:28 am Sachin Mukhiya

Couldn’ agree more with what Sarada ji said………..!!!

6. December 1, 2008, 6:56 pm Ryan 977

I want to see what his designs look like as well anyone have any scoop on this.