Mahanandi Is A Feast For The Eyes

“Mahanandi: Cooking with Consciousness ~ Recipes from India and the World”
is making me hungry. It’s a food blog maintained by Indira Singari, who is based in Seattle. Her recipes and photos were recently featured in an article on NPR’s “Kitchen Window.” A recent blog entry offers a review of a new cookbook, an interview with the authors and Singari’s experiences with trying out the recipes. The site’s gallery of Indian Sweets 101 might have one of your favorite treats, and it also provides a listing of other food blogs to explore.

What food blogs do you like?

December 14, 2006
  1. December 14, 2006, 5:33 pm Priya

I am partial to Delicious Days… by far the most mouth watering food photography I’ve ever seen and the recipes are always amazing.

2. December 14, 2006, 6:10 pm Rama

Do you have permission to publish this photo from Indira? I am curious, because there is a rampant theft of copyrighted material from food blogs is going on now.

3. December 14, 2006, 6:49 pm Divya

Have you seen Hooked on Heat (http://www.hookedonheat.com/)? I personally think it’s way better that Mahanandi’s, who only focusses on Andhra food. Meena talks about all kinds of Indian food, and er writing and photography skills are truly delightful!

4. December 14, 2006, 9:33 pm Pavani

I haven’t seen either of those great food blogs, so thanks…for making me even hungrier. I didn’t obtain permission, so the photo has been removed.

5. December 15, 2006, 3:40 pm Priya

Pavani— I think if you are talking about the person whose photo you are showing it’s okay to use their photo. If you use the photo without mentioning that person or use the photo when talking about your own recipe for the dish it’s unethical. I think you were totally fine posting the photo. It was illustrating what you were saying about Indira.

6. April 8, 2007, 9:04 am Aspen

I think Indira’s Mahanandi is far better than Hooked on Heat. Both of them have great food blogs with different styles of writing.With the hookedonheat blog, I have noticed that any time you have a recipe related query or she thinks you are questioning something, she just deletes your comment.If you choose to maintain a public blog, you should be open to all kinds of feedback & comments. Also, her recipes are time consuming and not all that simple as she claims.

7. June 15, 2007, 2:18 pm Vicky

I personally think Mahanandi is overrated. Photography is good. She mostly wanders around a region in Andhra, not entire Andhra. She has good Southern Andhra recipe collection. I like Sailu’s food (www.sailusfood.com).
    Aspen, I once left a comment on how the quality of Pulla Reddy sweets has come down in recent past, she removed it. For me, comments are comments…you should be able to accept both praise and constructive critisism.