R

aving about Rachel Roy and her eponymous designer collection is par for the course in the exclusive enclaves of New York fashion. Magazine editors, boutique buyers and the society set hail Roy’s designs as a return to regal cocktail dressing.

But it’s not just Roy’s elegant silhouettes that have the fashion glitterati gushing. Her model looks, personal sartorial prowess and philanthropic pursuits have garnered a loyal legion who laud her every step.

Since the debut of her collection in 2005, the designer’s rise to the upper echelons of New York society has been relentlessly chronicled. Fifty-two pages are devoted to her social appearances alone on famed photographer Patrick McMullan’s Web site, and just as many photos of her appear in the celebrity section of Style.com, Vogue‘s online presence. Roy’s work is consistently cited in the pages of Vogue, Town & Country, Vanity Fair and W magazines.

rachel-roy.jpg
Roy at the premiere of Fracture. With husband, hip hop mogul Damon Dash.

Ms. Roy’s Style Mantras

Spend more, buy less. Roy adores Nancy Gonzales’ crocodile handbags, which feature a classic shape, can last for more than 10 years and have no outside labeling. She also bought Manolo Blahniks in college that are still in her closet today.

Know thyself. Roy doesn’t believe in owning brand names just for the sake of it. For example, she knows that only five silhouettes made by Manolo Blahnik are comfortable and flattering for her high instep.

Play it safe. “When you’re rushing, you tend to go for the thing which is safe. Not necessarily things that are safe in color but that you feel good in. That’s what I mean by safe. When you stop and look, you say to yourself: Three nights in a row you had to go out and you had to change in the office, you picked these things, why did you pick them? Because instinctively they were safe uniforms, things you chose without thinking. Those are the sorts of things you want to fill your closet with.”

Flatter yourself. Roy knows that the “smoky eye” look is most flattering for her almond shaped eyes, so she sticks with it. In fact, she says “the messier, the better.”

Recently, 33-year-old Roy graced the cover of Avenue magazine, which journals “the lives of Manhattan’s affluent and socially powerful.” She was also last seen at number three in the rankings of New York socialites on the anonymous and now-defunct blog SocialiteRank.com. Needless to say, Roy was a fixture on the list.

The fascination with Roy stems from an appreciation for both her beauty and business acumen. When discussing Roy’s Spring 2007 collection, Nandini D’Souza, a features editor at W, says, “(It) showed a marked leap in both aesthetic and finish for Rachel Roy. It’s clear that she’s taking her recent decision to move her prices into the loftier young designer realm very, very seriously, and it paid off. The details were beautiful and, as expected, the lineup was as elegant as Rachel herself.”

Behind the glitz and glam is a fledgling entrepreneur, wife (Roy is married to hip hop mogul Damon Dash) and mother who harbors a healthy regard for heritage and can claim a relentless work ethic, both of which inform her designs.

A native Californian, Roy is the daughter of a first-generation Indian father originally from Madras and a mother of Dutch ancestry. From a humble background (she had to pay her father rent as a teenager), Roy commenced her fashion career at the tender age of 14 in a local Contempo Casuals outlet. She credits her upbringing with instilling the solid work ethic she believes has served her well.

After attending Columbia Union College in Maryland, Roy immediately moved to New York and put that work ethic to use. She spent nearly 10 years in retail, serving as a personal shopper and stylist for magazines and music videos. She got her break when she met Dash and began interning with his former company, Rocawear. There, she learned about the fashion business, eventually rising to the role of creative director.

“The styling helped because I got to know people who had money to buy whatever they wanted. And that taught me that not everyone wants to be fashion-forward, especially the people who have the money to be fashion-forward. Mostly, the people I know who are fashion-forward are stylists or hair stylists, or people from just starting out in fashion,” Roy explains. “So that helps me in growing a business—though I am attracted to avant-garde design, I am reminded by my styling experiences what a real woman wants to wear.”

Today, Roy’s namesake line is carried by all the tony purveyors of high style, including Bergdorf Goodman, and it enjoys a steady stream of admirers. The designer is particularly known for her 1930s and ’40s inspired looks. What specifically about these periods lit her imagination? “It’s a time in history where women were allowed to be feminine but also strong. Marlene Dietrich could wear a suit and a bowtie or wear a ball gown and a wrap and convey femininity and strength in both looks,” she says.

rachel-roy-2.jpg
Roy with celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe. Roy with her husband at The Costume Institute’s Party of the Year in her own design.

Roy also credits her Indian heritage with imbuing an appreciation for ladylike presentation. “As an Indian woman, whether you have a lot of money or not, you take time to adorn yourself. I had the cheap bangles that I would put all the way up my arms and I would put the oil in my hair and put on my makeup. And that you do whether you have zero or are at the top of the food chain in India.”

Roy may take cues from film stars and far-off lands, but practicality rules her design aesthetic. She believes in “designing clothes for a woman who wears the same clothes at 8 a.m. as she does at 8 p.m., and it’s really important to me, especially for young minority women, to look a certain way in the workplace. I do 60 percent office-to-cocktail dresses, and the rest is pretty much straight cocktail unless it’s a summer collection. It’s classic but with a twist.”

rachel-roy-3.jpg
Ava Dress, Layla Sleveless Dress, Lana Bow Dress, Bianca Mini. From the Spring 2007 Collection.

Giving Back

Last December, Roy took a break from New York to visit Ghana with her family. “The UN asked us to go in conjunction with catWALK the World,” she told Avenue magazine. “It was probably the best thing I could have given Ava instead of sitting under a tree and opening way too many presents. And to give presents to orphans on Christmas … is there anything better?”

She adds that the focus on formalwear is part of a larger philosophy. “In a corporate environment, it’s important to dress the way you want to be perceived. For example when I was an intern, I dressed as if I had a role other than an intern because that’s what I wanted. And it’s not more expensive, it’s the same amount of money for a pair of slacks as it for a pair of jeans,” she says. As women, “We are put down enough in various arenas that we have to set the standards, we have to take ourselves seriously. We have to tell people how to treat us and that begins with how we treat ourselves.”

Despite Roy’s whirlwind success, she admits that balancing her work and family life “is a constant struggle. I haven’t put my daughter (7-year-old Ava) to bed since I started my own business. It’s a huge sacrifice, but if I leave work early then my team leaves early and it’s a small team. So, I am working hard so I can hire more people and eventually focus on creative direction. I would love to get to that point, but until then you have to make a sacrifice.”

Now that Roy has conquered New York, it won’t be long until her work is known the world over. When asked about what’s on the horizon, she replies, “Overall, I just hope to grow, open more doors … and on and on!”n

Mili Narayen fancies Rachel Roy’s Spring 2007 silk taffeta Ruth Bubble Trench.
Published on May 7, 2007.
Photography: Courtesy of Rachel Roy.
  1. May 7, 2007, 1:50 pm Priya

Sigh. I love Rachel’s clothes, her attitude, her style, everything. What class.

Great article, Mili.

2. May 7, 2007, 5:48 pm Payal

Rachel is okay. Tries way too hard to be noticed. Sure, some of her designs are nice. She’s definitely got the funds from her husband! She’s much older than 33.

3. June 20, 2007, 11:55 am RAW

Ms Roy is adorable. Top Shelf, Classy,lovely and smarts what a combination of a lady.

Keep up the good work.

RAW

4. June 23, 2007, 6:29 pm Kathleen

Rachel is beautiful, talented, and deserves to be photographed. I love her clothes. They are so classy. Best wishes from Houston, Tx.

Kathleen R.

5. June 26, 2007, 8:48 am Kim Cooks

I really respect her attitude and her perspective on how women should act and dress. That is something new that i didnt know about her. in this day and age women dont generally think like that. Much respect to her and I hope she expands to Texas!

6. July 1, 2007, 12:43 pm Seth

Payal’s def right that she lies about her age (apart from many other things) which is not so important.

She is pretty and her style is def improving (esp. since the marraige) in the way money can buy, and considering that, apparently, money can’t buy style for everyone, this is KINDA important.

But none of the collection is “her” design – doesn’t everyone already know that? At least if she “sort of” acknowledged she had someone else heading her design crew, it might sound a little more convincing that she maybe sometimes did pitch in – yeah yeah

7. August 2, 2007, 7:55 am Summer

How do YOU know she’s lying about her age? Did you go to school with her or get a glance of her birth certificate? She looks 33 to me. Stop being mean and catty because you have nothing useful going on in your lives. Her clothes aren’t that amazing, but she carries herself with a ton of class.

8. September 8, 2007, 12:38 pm Diana Smith

I love Rachel Roy.

RAchel made it in the industry from hard work. Yes she has husbandry ties but she is married to Dame Dash. What do you expect your husband would do for you.

9. September 21, 2007, 10:20 am Amy Preddy

I went to school with Rachel and she is a very good friend. She is an absolute sweet heart and if you looked up the word CLASSY in the dictionary – her photo would be right there. She is SMART, WITTY, and VERY TALENTED – she used to help put my outfits together way back in the day when she worked at Contempo Casuals (in High School) – and yes people she is 33!!! ;o)

Love you Rach!

Amy xoxox

10. September 21, 2007, 10:23 am Amy Preddy

Just so you know – she graduated High School in 1991. Seaside High School in Seaside, CA.

;o)

Amy xoxox

11. October 4, 2007, 1:16 pm lilkunta

Y do u all say she isnt 33?

She used 2 work for Damon Dash’s rocawear, so that is how she got her start. Of course her husband is funding her, they are in a partnership after all.

I wonder how er traditional parents reacted her her premarital sex & pregnancy ( after all she was paying rent 2 her dad!)

12. October 26, 2007, 4:11 am sadia

I applaud her for her talent and ingenious work and love the fact that she is making woman look classy and feminine in a corporate world.

However, the biggest sacrifice is her own child. Is all the big money and name worth it if her child doesn’t get the woman that the world wants? I’m not against carrier woman, but balancing is a big and only part of true success.

13. October 28, 2007, 1:09 am GM

Congratulations to Rachel on her success! The designs look beautiful-truly elegant. Rachel has always had style, though. Even when we were in high school! Yes, she really is that young and nice. She graduated in ’91, folks!

14. January 5, 2008, 2:18 pm Anju Garg

Hey Rachel,
    Saw you on Oprah! Had a bet with my husband that you have to be an Indian. What perfect Indian looks you have – great and Wow!!
    Proud to know now that you have Indian linage.
    Keep doing well and keep Indian name flying high.
    Best wishes
    Anju Garg

15. February 7, 2008, 2:21 am Rumbidzai B.

A totall fan of Rachel Roy and cannot believe what animosity you Americans are giving your own kind. What a shame.

One word to Miss Roy, the higher you go, the more gravity pulls. Just keep focused on your goals, dreams and family and remember GOD in all things!

Rumbi

16. February 11, 2008, 1:05 pm BrownGuy

She is beautiful, but she doesn’t really have “perfect indian looks” as anju put it. She’s half white, and looks like many half desis I’ve seen. yes they are attractive, but we need to stop perpetuating this idea that desis are only hot if they look vaguely caucasian i.e. Bollywood stars.

17. February 15, 2008, 1:51 pm truthteller

payal dont be jealous , why would rachel lie about her age . SHe is very young she looks very beautiful like a real south Indian or bengali beauty , you batrely see the dutch influence

18. May 27, 2008, 11:04 pm lilkunta

@brownguy:
    WTF r u talking about? Anju’s comments about her ‘perfect Indian looks’ werent attributed 2 RR being 1/2 Dutch.

U r the only 1 on here perpetuating that idea.

19. June 8, 2008, 3:12 pm Tahira

I would have never thought in a million years that Rachel Roy was half White. Me being half Pakistani, I know an Indian face when I see one and she has it. Years before I even thought she could possibly be mixed with black. Other then that I think she is a great designer, she is very pretty and she does look 33!

20. September 18, 2008, 7:20 pm Sarah

She’s beautiful.. I’d give anything to look like her.

21. November 14, 2008, 1:54 pm kathy

Your clothes are beautiful. I hope you sell lots of them — so you can pay your husband’s bills.

You people sicken me. Get rich on luck and blow the whole wad perpetrating instead of being thankful and helping others be successful.