You Can Be My Brown Kate Moss…

vogue.jpg
The inaugural issue.

Condé Nast’s Vogue launches in India tomorrow under the helm of Priya Tanna. Of the launch, Tanna told Reuters recently, “We will raise the bar because we are the ultimate style-bible. More and more confident, successful women are moving from the ‘we’ culture to the ‘me’ culture.”

The inaugural issue is Bollywood-themed featuring a write-up by Sukhetu Mehta about the film industry. The issue also includes an article about an up-and-coming socialite on the scene, style advice from Bipasha Basu, Priyanka Chopra and Preity Zinta and a reportedly gorgeous photo spread shot by Patrick Demarchelier of Gemma Ward frolicking on the set of Saawariya. (Though, when I heard the news of this shoot I have to admit to feeling a bit annoyed: I would have loved to see a desi model photographed by such a legend.) The cover itself features Bipasha Basu, Gemma Ward, Priyanka Chopra, Monikangana, Preity Zinta and Laxmi Menon.

Anyone waiting for the launch with bated breath? Are you excited to read it? I will try to find it in New York. Until then, report back!

More: Read an interview with Vogue India’s Editor-In-Chief, Priya Tanna on Forbes.com.

September 20, 2007
  1. September 21, 2007, 11:53 am Pavani

Nice cover photo. It’s a little early to be critical, but yes, I demand that Indian Vogue feature a curly-haired beauty on its cover as soon as possible. 🙂

2. September 21, 2007, 3:50 pm Nalini

I agree. The face up next in the cover model dugout should be Nayanika Chatterjee.

3. September 22, 2007, 3:25 pm sparky

yeh…if nothing else, that photo highlights how narrow a definition bollywood beauty is…hair style, hair color, and even skin color, eye shape and nose shape seem to fall into a small range.

4. October 8, 2007, 9:18 pm Rina

Hmmmm… does anyone know where someone in New York could get their hands on Vogue India?

5. May 9, 2008, 5:41 pm Kim

Hi, I stumbled across this story on a fashion blog. I’m an African American female and I’ve noticed that Indians in cinema are exactly where Blacks were in the 1940’s. The only acceptable Blacks in film were “Light Skinned” black women. I hope the inside is more representative than the cover. If not, I’ll be curious to see if this mag sparks protest.

6. May 10, 2008, 1:13 pm ok..

if its India Vogue
    shouldnt the cover actually have all indians on the front cover and not a random white person?