Protocol to be a Marc Jacobs Model

marc-jacobs-mia.jpg
M.I.A. for Marc by Marc Jacobs

This ain’t no Rocawear. Flipping through the new February issue of Teen Vogue (shut up.), I caught the new shots for Spring 2008 campaign for Marc by Marc Jacobs featuring none other than our girl, M.I.A. (Front of book, first ad after the L’Oreal gatefold.)

I wanted to love it, I really did but does anyone else think homeskillet looks a bit tired in these photos? And that the hell is up with the styling? Don’t mind the shot on the right but sticking her in a men’s cut suit? Really? The Spring line has so many gorgeous colorful clothes… why go that route? I associate M.I.A. with hyper color anyway, much like the Spring collection, so what’s up with the gray and olive?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Bigger photos after the jump…

marcbymarcmiawz0.jpg
marcbymarcmia2ji3.jpg
January 2, 2008
  1. January 2, 2008, 12:11 pm Pavani

I like how she looks in her own outfits. When I looked at the photos before reading your post, my first thought was how cool it was that Sanjaya got to model for Jacobs.

2. January 11, 2008, 12:38 am TRADERJANKI

But, it’s MIA! I agree with Pavani, I love her style… but I think she can make any outfit look hot.

3. January 12, 2008, 2:51 pm Smitha

I just don’t get “fashion” sometimes. She looks exhausted and like she doesn’t care, and the clothes just look sloppy and mismatched. The whole photo shoot looks like a mess. I feel like this reflects really badly on everybody involved, MIA included.

4. January 15, 2008, 11:45 pm Pri

marc jacobs ads are always sort of strange looking. he now has a series of ads with victoria beckham in a box. http://www.popcrunch.com/victoria-beckham-marc-jacobs-ad-campaign-springsummer-2008-victoria-beckham-marc-jacobs-springsummer-2008-ad-campaign/

5. February 14, 2008, 6:34 pm Nidhi

I so agree with you on the tired look and awkward styling. I love looking at photos with M.I.A. for the bursts of attitude, energy and style, just like her shows. But these don’t do that at all.

6. March 4, 2008, 1:19 pm Logan Antill

I think she’s styled in gray and white precisely because MIA always dominates with bold colors. Switch the style up and it becomes MIA in Marc Jacobs, not Marc Jacobs made for MIA. Making a personality look good something they do not usually wear is the mark of good styling, design, and art direction.

And she looks sick in that suit.

7. September 22, 2008, 12:16 am Mariah

I’m sorry but I love that Marc Jacobs takes a strong male influence to women’s clothing. What he’s done is make her look very independent and, well, tough. Like she can take anything.

I agree that she looks SICK in that suit. 😀